RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

Goto page 1, 2  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryankiehl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Game Setup Questions Reply with quote

I am testing this service and have setup two machines. One is Windows 2003 and other other Linux Gentoo. The client setup worked first time. Amazing!!

I installed CS, no problem. This was on Linux.
But Quake 4 installed on Linux, but crashed. Tried again with base setup and still crashes. I have not looked into cause yet.

Install on Windows, CSS keep trying but has not yet installed successfully. It has bee 3 hours and two tries.

Is this typical?
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I dont think we currently have support for Quake 4 linux - I can put a copy of Quake 4 dedicated on our master content server though tomorrow Smile

If you already have the game though, it should work if you just mark the game as installed - Do you happen to know the Quake 4 server binary name to launch?

Ive looked at your domain, Counter-Strike: Source appears installed on your Windows host at the moment - Perhaps its been done since you made this post Smile

The content server is currently based in Australia - Depending on the connection speed between you and our servers, it may be slow installing games from it (depending on their size).

If you decide to go ahead with using GameCreate though, you can always maintain your own local copies of installations so you can shuffle the install's around your hosts very fast!

Let me know if I can help you out any further.
bryankiehl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quake 4: That is the answer. I put it on my windows test server and it worked fine, but it may not have the most recent update. Update just came out yesterday.

We do have the Quake 4 Linux and I will look at that.

We work with a "connected" Quake group and always have files and access to information.

CSS: Yes, it took two tries to install but seems to work fine.

I was just running quick tests and I am seriously considering using the system. We have most of these files and can do the setups, but I need to offload this into a system. This looks very promising.

I have space and bandwidth at a colo here (adnc.com) and would consider loading files. I am sure that would help. However, I assume once loaded, the problems are modest.

Now I need to figure out how to use this system and create a user panel for stop and start.
Omar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bryan,

Glad you took some interest in gamecreate. I knew youd like it!

Ill be on msn today if you want to chat.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The content server is very trivial to run and maintain.

All that is needed is (yet to be released, however is availabe on request) the package creator which generates an install script for your files - and a http server.

This http server does not need to be public, and can just be made accessable by your game server hosts (you could even run it on one of the hosts).

This means you could be installing games via gamecreate at LAN connectivity speed Smile
bryankiehl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure we will get the files here but that is not the biggest issue. I first need to figure out how provide limited access. For example, I need to give a person specific access to their server so they can stop, start, etc.

I will work some more tonight, but I need to be sure this is possible. Yes?
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, very possible.

If you visit the Permissions tab for an entity (such as a Server, Game, Host or even Domain) you can give users very limited (or extensive) permissions.

As an example, you can create a server and give a specific user account the ability to:

* Modify the settings on the 'Configuration' tab, except the Players property.
* Permit/deny them to edit their Files tab
* Permit/deny them to start/stop/restart their server
* Permit/deny them to assign other permissions (that they themselves have) to other users

If you are using this in a rental environment, it may be worth while to create a subdomain for each rental customer you have.

Subdomains (done via the Subdomains tab under 'Domain' in your top domain), provide the functionality to:

* Share host resources - Your top level domain has all its hosts in there.
Subdomains use these hosts.

* Own installations of games.
When you install a new game to a host on a subdomain, an entirely new copy of the software is installed, in a different directory (eg c:\games\GameCreate-xxx\bf2 for Battlefield 2) per subdomain.

So, each subdomain (and the top level domain) have their own installation directories. This is very helpful in a rental environment, as it will allow users to have custom map packs, modifications etc installed without affecting other customer's installation directories.

Additionally, if you enable FTP for your domain, each customer can login to their own FTP directory (with no effort on your part) to upload custom maps etc and modify their directory (if permitted by you) as well as download log files etc.
bryankiehl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was going to look at subdomains and it looks like that will be the answer.

I have not investigated the cause, but so far the q4 did not work on Linux and now Jedi Academy did not work. CS did work. I wil get into the cause later tonight, but should I expect more install issues on Linux?

I have not even reviewed the install structure, but did install the app under /etc and see files are installed under /etc/..../gamedata. Anything that I should worry about for installs.

We run both Windows 2003 servers and Linux Fedora and Gentoo, but we run more Linux than Windows. Should I anticipate any issues.

At this point, I am quite interested and will work more tonight to see a way to implement the system. If I add 2-3 more serves does it pop up looking for billing?
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During this time GameCreate will allow you to connect up to 10 host computers at one time without charge.

However, when beta testing ends it will be scaled back to only 2 hosts.

You wont be asked to be charged, GameCreate wont let you add anymore than 10 at this time (and when beta ends, you wont be charged for having 8 more hosts for example, instead, they just wont be allowed to login).

GameCreate should perform fine on Linux and Windows - We just dont use as many linux game servers ourselves, so our initial Linux support during this beta is still limited.

Enemy Territory, Counter-Strike, CS: Source, Trackmania, Battlefield 2 and Ventril are all currently working completly on Linux.

We have not tested Quake 4 on linux at this time - Additionally, we do not know what the quake4 linux binary name is. If you know, let me know here and ill add it in as support - At the moment, GameCreate does not know what to start for Q4 on linux, so it will obviously fail.

Jedi Academy should work - Do you have the game installed completly? Double check the content is there.
bryankiehl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How soon before we can install more than 10 host computers?
At that time, you will charge the listed prices?

Quake4 Linux files are on filefront. A new patch was issued yesterday. I can wait on the Linux server support. We run mostly Linux machines and have most files and these are all working for Fedora and Gentoo servers. LInux issues are rare.

We host our own Ventrilo and Teamspeak services and are an authorized provider, so we will not be using Ventrilo.
bryankiehl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see your rental company offers Battlefield 2 ranked servers. If we offer these servers using this system, are the servers ranked?
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How soon before we can install more than 10 host computers?
At that time, you will charge the listed prices?

Your welcome to add more than 10 at this time, we can discuss pricing if needed - Just click Contact to the left hand menu and let us know what you want to do there.

Quote:
We host our own Ventrilo and Teamspeak services and are an authorized provider, so we will not be using Ventrilo.

We also host Ventrilo licensed - However we dont offer it on our public content server obviously.

You can use GameCreate to manager your licensed Ventrilo servers, it does not need to know how the software got installed on the server, nor do you need to download our copy if it ever was added (which it wont be, due to Ventrilo's export laws).

Quote:
I also see your rental company offers Battlefield 2 ranked servers. If we offer these servers using this system, are the servers ranked?

Nope, it would be unranked Battlefield 2.

GameCreate will start the BF2 server as normal, if you have a license from EA for BF2 ranked, then GameCreate will also run it in ranked mode (if you set it to via the server's config).

But no, we dont give BF2 ranked installs out - its EA's area, we are just an authorized party in using BF2 ranked installs in our own environment.
Kybber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note on Quake4: The Linux files that are publically
available is not enough to run a dedicated Q4 server. You
also need to provide a couple of GB of files from the cd-rom/DVD. Required info is here:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/quake4/download.html?sid=6136235

(Not 100% sure that's the latest Q4 server files, but I think
they are).

Edit: It appears the 1.1 dedicated server files were released
two days ago. They are marked as beta, but it may be what
is needed. I don't pay much attention to Quake 4...

Last edited by Kybber on Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

I have a related question about the bf2 ranked servers.

So since GameCreate or Mammoth Media rents out ranked servers does this mean EA has authorized the control panel of GameCreate to be used in conjunction with ranked servers?

This would be awsome as I know of only one other control panel authorized by EA to be used on ranked servers which is Cortex CP. Personally GameCreate offers much more than Cortex CP.

Thanks
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont know of any control panel authorization stuff.

We use GameCreate to manage BF2 servers we already ran, we simply let others use GameCreate to manage their ranked rental servers provided by us.

It should not matter to EA what control panel BF2 is used under.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: