RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FluX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: [Help] Want to create banlist Reply with quote

Hey all. I have done a search for this but has been no good as there isn't exactly anything explaining how to make a ban list for a single server or properly for all servers under one game. Im not trying to do this for specific games but I would like to know as when I make a ban, the bans disappear within the server configuration file it saves to. I have even set the file to update frequently of 10 minutes just incase this would help but no luck.

Any chance of someone helpping me out here on how to make a banlist? The games I mainly want it for is the Unreal series games for example Killing Floor and Unreal Tournament 2004.
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

FluX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone able to help me cause I don't want "banned" players coming back cause it wont keep them banned?
Steve
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually for large/cross server ban lists used in conjunction with GameCreate, you'd do something along these lines.

Have all bans from all servers automatically fed into a database

Have a webserver using php or whatever you like to run a query and populate a usable banlist page(so, listing bans in a way which the game server would understand)

Use <gc:include>addressofbanslist</gc:include>in the master banlist file in GameCreate for that game(or games if using Steam IDs for e.g.)

Check here for a few more hints.
http://doc.gamecreate.com/ManualFileLanguage
FluX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Usually for large/cross server ban lists used in conjunction with GameCreate, you'd do something along these lines.

Have all bans from all servers automatically fed into a database

Have a webserver using php or whatever you like to run a query and populate a usable banlist page(so, listing bans in a way which the game server would understand)

Use <gc:include>addressofbanslist</gc:include>in the master banlist file in GameCreate for that game(or games if using Steam IDs for e.g.)

Check here for a few more hints.
http://doc.gamecreate.com/ManualFileLanguage

How would I set a database up and the query? Sorry I have never done anything like this before.
FluX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone help me out please? Im getting a lot of idiots keep coming back to my servers...
Kybber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know how to set up a database and create sql queries, then there is no way to explain in a forum post what you have to do to cover all games, as you are asking. You are essentially asking us to show you how to create a global banning system for all games - that task is simply too huge for anyone here to undertake. You will either need to teach yourself basic sql and at least one programming language (php, python, perl etc), or specify a game so that we can point you to already existing solutions.
FluX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kybber wrote:
If you don't know how to set up a database and create sql queries, then there is no way to explain in a forum post what you have to do to cover all games, as you are asking. You are essentially asking us to show you how to create a global banning system for all games - that task is simply too huge for anyone here to undertake. You will either need to teach yourself basic sql and at least one programming language (php, python, perl etc), or specify a game so that we can point you to already existing solutions.

Thanks for the reply. All im asking is some kind of direction to how to do this. I have some experience php through my own site. I DO know how to setup databases as my websites use a few but I don't know the query part as I thought the database may be setup differently. I wasn't asking for someone to exactly teach me the whole thing but more as a guide but I was a little agitated due to quite a few idiots taking advantage.

Game im using is Killing Floor.
Kybber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I don't know of any existing ban systems for killing floor, but then again I really don't know anything at all about the game. Given that you can find a way of putting the bans into a database, all you have to do is create a simple php-script which connects to the database, selects the required info and spits out all the bans on a format compatible with the banlist format you need. Then simply put <gc:include>http://your.webserv.er/yourscript.php</gc:include> into the banlist file in GC. Thus, on each server restart, GC will request the URL of the script, put that into the banlist file, download it to the server-host and start the server.

However, if Killing floor does not have any ban systems, then it gets more complicated. You may then consider writing a piece of code that monitors for new bans, either using RCON or by tracking changes to the banlist-file, and adds any new bans to the database as they come. Thus your bans will be stored in a central location, and all your other servers will receive them when they next restart.
FluX

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kybber wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know of any existing ban systems for killing floor, but then again I really don't know anything at all about the game. Given that you can find a way of putting the bans into a database, all you have to do is create a simple php-script which connects to the database, selects the required info and spits out all the bans on a format compatible with the banlist format you need. Then simply put <gc:include>http://your.webserv.er/yourscript.php</gc:include> into the banlist file in GC. Thus, on each server restart, GC will request the URL of the script, put that into the banlist file, download it to the server-host and start the server.

However, if Killing floor does not have any ban systems, then it gets more complicated. You may then consider writing a piece of code that monitors for new bans, either using RCON or by tracking changes to the banlist-file, and adds any new bans to the database as they come. Thus your bans will be stored in a central location, and all your other servers will receive them when they next restart.

This will probably help but it runs off the Unreal Tournament 2004 engine. The reason I think having a ban list is because when I make a ban in the webadmin or in-game, they aren't saved when the server restarts...Any idea about ut2004 ban system?
FluX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right I have done some research but im a little stumped on the php script. What im trying to do is get the player's nickname & steamID. This is all that is needed for the ban system. If possible I need to get a reason string for the ban.
Kybber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which script? I assume you are talking about a script that will add bans to the database, and not the one that will generate a webpage with the bans for inclusion into the GC file? The latter is quite trivial to make.

How do you plan on obtaining the bans? From log-files? By direct communication with the server (how?)? Other methods?
FluX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kybber wrote:
Which script? I assume you are talking about a script that will add bans to the database, and not the one that will generate a webpage with the bans for inclusion into the GC file? The latter is quite trivial to make.

How do you plan on obtaining the bans? From log-files? By direct communication with the server (how?)? Other methods?

Ah there is a lot more I gotta do then. I ment the script going from server to database which will be done through a log file. I will have to setup this log file properly as it will be done through a mutator on the server. This is the only way I can think of this because GameCreate wont allow me to keep my server bans at all...This is really frustrating for me but I am willing to try keep this till it's done.
Kybber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why you mention Gamecreate here. Gamecreate doesn't prevent you from doing anything.

Does Killing Floor not write bans to a file? How does Killing Floor persist its bans? by default?
FluX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ok i'll try to explain and I hope I made no offence to GameCreate cause I like the program as a whole.

Killing Floor is just a modified UT2004 which uses the same engine just slightly modified. What it does is in its configuration file it has also the ban list. For some reason when I ban someone, it doesn't ban them when the server restarts (I mean a complete auto-restart at 05:00 GMT). It whipes the ban section clean. It's like it's reverting back to the original file before it started up.
Kybber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I think I understand now: Killing Floor writes its bans to the system/port%server:port%.ini file? What happens is, of course, that GameCreate downloads that file every time the server restarts. You can turn auto-download off, but then you'd have a problem changing mapcycles and other settings, since the modified file wouldn't be pulled in after a server restart. Or you can turn off auto-download of the file and modify it by hand, while just using GC to take care of starting, stopping and monitoring the server. If you only have one server, then that may be a viable option.

Is it possible to instruct the KF server to instead write bans to a different file, one that isn't overwritten with each server restart? Perhaps there's a setting for that?

I hate stupid game engines. UT 2004 must be one of the worst out there config-wise.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: