RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FluX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kybber wrote:
Ah, I think I understand now: Killing Floor writes its bans to the system/port%server:port%.ini file? What happens is, of course, that GameCreate downloads that file every time the server restarts. You can turn auto-download off, but then you'd have a problem changing mapcycles and other settings, since the modified file wouldn't be pulled in after a server restart. Or you can turn off auto-download of the file and modify it by hand, while just using GC to take care of starting, stopping and monitoring the server. If you only have one server, then that may be a viable option.

Is it possible to instruct the KF server to instead write bans to a different file, one that isn't overwritten with each server restart? Perhaps there's a setting for that?

I hate stupid game engines. UT 2004 must be one of the worst out there config-wise.

How do I do this? Shocked

What is the downside of this anyway? Can I still use the start-up command line etc like normal with parameters etc?
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

FluX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry any chance if anyone can help me do this change? I have got another two people now harrassing my servers and my banning is not staying.

Thanks for all the help Kybber so far and I know im sorta harrassing on here but I need this asap Razz I do apologise!
Kybber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for my late response.

To disable autoupdate of the file on server restart:
Games->Killing Floor->Files
Click edit on the file you want to disable.
Default->No
Click save

This should make sure that the file is not downloaded when the server starts.

The downside to this is that you cannot modify parameters that go into the config file via the server's configuration page in GC. Obviously, since the file isn't downloaded from GC anymore, any changes you make are not updated on your host. So you have to make those config changes locally on the host.

But any config changes you make that are included in the command-line will of course continue to work, and you will see those changes after a server restart.

There really should be a different way of specifying bans for this game. And perhaps there is, but I haven't studied the engine's options. A parameter like "BanListFile=" would be a good solution, as that would allow you to split the bans into another file.
FluX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kybber wrote:
Sorry for my late response.

To disable autoupdate of the file on server restart:
Games->Killing Floor->Files
Click edit on the file you want to disable.
Default->No
Click save

This should make sure that the file is not downloaded when the server starts.

The downside to this is that you cannot modify parameters that go into the config file via the server's configuration page in GC. Obviously, since the file isn't downloaded from GC anymore, any changes you make are not updated on your host. So you have to make those config changes locally on the host.

But any config changes you make that are included in the command-line will of course continue to work, and you will see those changes after a server restart.

There really should be a different way of specifying bans for this game. And perhaps there is, but I haven't studied the engine's options. A parameter like "BanListFile=" would be a good solution, as that would allow you to split the bans into another file.

Thanks a lot mate. So the downside to this is that the parameters like difficulty, max_players etc etc HAVE to be all manual and NOT for example %max_players% or so?

Also I agree with you about the bans but I really don't think there is.

EDIT: I did what you said but it's not there. Only things there are Update frequency - when started, 10 minutes, 60 minutes. Write once - Only write this file to the Server Host if it has been modified by GameCreate.
Am I missing something or is it the "Write Once"?
Kybber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FluX wrote:
Thanks a lot mate. So the downside to this is that the parameters like difficulty, max_players etc etc HAVE to be all manual and NOT for example %max_players% or so?

Any parameter that is specified in the config-file needs to be manually edited directly in the file on the host using e.g. notepad. Any parameter that is specified on the command-line is still active. You may be able to move some parameters from the config-file to the command-line.

FluX wrote:
EDIT: I did what you said but it's not there. Only things there are Update frequency - when started, 10 minutes, 60 minutes. Write once - Only write this file to the Server Host if it has been modified by GameCreate.
Am I missing something or is it the "Write Once"?

You need to go to Games->Killing Floor->Files, not Servers->"My Killing Floor Server"->Files
FluX

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for all your help mate! Smile
Kybber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, np Smile Hope it works out!
FluX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably know the answer to this but I will ask anyway. Is there anyway of making a reference to a file inside a file? Basically what I thought of was making a seperate file called Bans.ini which will hold all my bans that I will make it update every 10 minutes so it stays up to date with the server etc.
Can I make a reference inside my configuration file to the ban.ini file information to show when starting server if you get me?

Here is what I mean in different terms:

Bans.ini -
IPPolicies=DENY;84.240.34.28
IPPolicies=DENY;91.140.91.8
IPPolicies=DENY;84.32.204.28
IPPolicies=DENY;81.183.159.210
IPPolicies=DENY;88.240.66.224
IPPolicies=DENY;78.178.158.108
IPPolicies=DENY;78.92.102.238
IPPolicies=DENY;60.241.174.107
IPPolicies=DENY;24.7.173.197

and inside port7713.ini (configuration file) -
[Engine.AccessControl]
AdminPassword=%rcon_password%
GamePassword=%password%
bBanByID=False
LoginDelaySeconds=0.000000
IPPolicies=ACCEPT;*
%Bans.ini%

As you can see it would then update itself with the bans from another file. Is this possible?

I found out doing it the way you said Kybber was actually going to ruin my whole server system layout. I would have to make a directory for EACH server and I have about 5...Im doing it all manually as it seems to work now BUT meaning I have to restart etc which is a bit of a pain.
Kybber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is possible to reference files like that. Besides, how will you instruct the game to write to bans.ini instead of to its default location? If you can work that out, then you are pretty much done anyway, since you should then also be able to make the game read from the same file, thus avoiding this whole exercise. Or are you planning on updating the bans in the bans.ini file in another way?
FluX

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kybber wrote:
I don't think it is possible to reference files like that. Besides, how will you instruct the game to write to bans.ini instead of to its default location? If you can work that out, then you are pretty much done anyway, since you should then also be able to make the game read from the same file, thus avoiding this whole exercise. Or are you planning on updating the bans in the bans.ini file in another way?

Was planning on manually adding them but I thought this way would be neater and easier to read. This also means that the file can update itself instead of having the whole server keep updating it's files if you see where im coming from.

Was just a thought which could maybe help with other things. The bans.ini was just an example.
Kybber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to add them manually, then why not add them to a file that is accessible via web? Then you can use the original suggestion from Steve and include it via <gc:include>http://your.webserv.er/path/to/banlist.txt</gc:include
FluX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't really any understanding to it all. If I made a banlist.txt and put it onto my site so it's accessible. Where would I put this <gc:include>http://your.webserv.er/path/to/banlist.txt</gc:include and how would the file actually grab the information to use for the banlist? Im sorry but it did confuse me as I am tired and got a lot of things to do Razz
Kybber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple. Instead of this, which you posted above and I assume is otherwise correct:
Code:
[Engine.AccessControl]
AdminPassword=%rcon_password%
GamePassword=%password%
bBanByID=False
LoginDelaySeconds=0.000000
IPPolicies=ACCEPT;*
%Bans.ini%

replace the last line with this:
Code:
<gc:include>http://your.webserv.er/path/to/banlist.txt</gc:include>

This will instruct GC to download that file and replace the line with the file contents, just like any other parameter replacement such as %rcon_password% etc, as it is constructing the actual file that will be downloaded to the host immediately prior to server start.
FluX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically in the bans.txt I just add my bans to it like I would manually in replace of the %bans.ini% part?
Kybber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehm... not sure I understood that, but yes: You add the bans manually to bans.txt, which is made available on a webserver somewhere, and then include the contents of that file using the <gc:include>-construct in the file where bans are to be listed.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: