RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmerbill256

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Linux compared to windows for gamecreate? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been searching for ages now trying to find a new hoster for my servers (which are all controlled via gamecreate) and was wondering how far the gamecreate linux beta is supported server wise.

I primarily run source based games, however I would also like to offer some possible other popular games for my friends and community. But all the best deals are for linux based operating system servers.

So my questions are:

1. How can I set up the linux gamecreate client? I am totally new to linux, and have been learning it via a virtual ubuntu OS on my windows computer. I know how to access the "command line" of linux, but I am not sure how to set the client up after downloading the compressed file from gamecreate. I have read some of the discussion on the gamecreate linux release but I still find it confusing.

2. Is there a defined list of what games are currently supported for linux based operating systems via gamecreate? If I know what is supported and how many are supported, I might just try and buy a linux based server.

Thank you
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

farmerbill256

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I think I found out how to run it:

1. chmod +x /home/USER/gamecreate/gamecreate.x86

2./home/USER/gamecreate/gamecreate.x86 -f

Just need that list of games now Rolling Eyes
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We don't run many Linux games ourself, its mostly Windows.

If the game supports Linux, it should run under GameCreate - as far as GameCreate is concerned, its just writing files to disk and starting a process (at the very basic level - it can do some fancy tricks to make silly games that don't bind to ports correctly work as well like BF1942).

You should probably just try installing a few games and seeing how they work.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: