RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
USHDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: FTP and users Reply with quote

Hello

I have a question regarding ftp for servers and how to seperate users that can access certain folder.

What are subdomain? How do they work? Are these the logins for ftp? How do I add users (ftp) for a server?

I read the help doc but it didn't help. Please if someone can elaborate and explain to me how everything works, I would highly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

cc2iscool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every user you make (I believe) has FTP under the server assigned to them under permissions. Subdomains just have the ability to be used as their own server (AKA user bob.yourname.gamecreate.com will not have the same files as user jeff.yourname.gamecreate.com, they will both have totally different filesets, whereas 2 users without a subdomain will have the same fileset to edit, which can cause problems).
USHDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the subdomain option BUT how do I assign or create a server to it? I can't find it anywhere in gamecreate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read http://doc.gamecreate.com/AdminSubDomainsPage for information on what subdomains are.

And as per, http://doc.gamecreate.com/ManualFtp - If you have a user assigned to Read a server, they can login to that game's directory and view its files. If they have write access, they can modify files.

Those Read/Write permissions are further restricted by your domain/host's FTP setting.
USHDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew. Is there how-to doc for assigning subdomains with ftp access? I went to the website you provided and it just explain what subdomains are but not very much info on how to do things. My only issue is regarding FTP access on servers and subdomains ftp. If possible, could you give me a 1-on-1 training on how to work this system? I'm willing to pay a fee for the support. Let me know.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this will help clarify the directory (and FTP) structure.

I will assume I have my own domain, Mammoth Media (mammoth.au.gamecreate.com)
Mammoth Media has a Counter-Strike server running under its domain.
My user account, Andrew, has full system access to Mammoth Media. Therefore, I also have full system access to any subdomain under Mammoth Media.

Under the Mammoth Media domain, I have two subdomains, Adam and Nathan. (adam/nathan.mammoth.au.gamecreate.com)

Quote:

The server setup is as follows:
* Mammoth Media:
-> Running a Counter-Strike: Source server

* Adam Subdomain
-> Running a Ventrilo server
-> Running a Battlefield 2 server

* Nathan Subdomain
-> Running a Ventrilo server
-> Running a Quake server

So, there are 5 servers in total being managed. For simplicity sake, we will assume Mammoth Media only has one physical host computer under the domain, all five servers are on it.
Lets call this host games01.

On the Mammoth Media Domain's Configuration tab, FTP Access is enabled, both uploads and downloads.

As per the above setup, lets see who has permission to which entity:

Quote:

* Mammoth Media:
-> Andrew has FULL (read + write) access to the Counter-Strike: Source server; as Andrew has 'Full System Access' permission (Domain Permissions tab).

* Adam Subdomain
-> Adam has been assigned FULL (read + write) access to his Ventrilo and Battlefield 2 server. Those two servers are the only ones he has any access to.
-> Andrew has FULL access to both of these servers, as he has 'Full System Access' in the Mammoth Media (providing domain for this subdomain) domain.

* Nathan Subdomain
-> Nathan has been assigned FULL (read + write) access to his Ventrilo and Quake server. Those are the only two servers he has access to.
-> Andrew has FULL access to both of these servers, as he has 'Full System Access' in the Mammoth Media (providing domain for this subdomain) domain.

Now the directory structore to where each of these servers is installed:
games01 is a Windows host, and has installed GameCreate to c:\gamecreate

As per the installation rule that:
* Each subdomain gets its own installation directory
* The main domain installs games into the root of the GameCreate Directory

The directory structure for the servers is:

Quote:

* Mammoth Media:
Counter-Strike: Source is installed in: c:\gamecreate\srcds

* Adam Subdomain (Domain ID 10)
Ventrilo is installed in c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-10\ventrilo
Battlefield 2 is installed in c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-10\bf2

* Nathan Subdomain (Domain ID 20)
Ventrilo is installed in c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-20\ventrilo
Quake is installed in c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-20\quake

Notice the directory structure.

Mammoth Media, which is the top most domain, has 'couner-strike' installed into c:\gamecreate\srcds.

However, Adam's subdomain has its own installation folder, c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-10.

The '10' is the GameCreate Domain ID, which is just a unique number that never changes. This Domain ID number can be found on a domain's WebServices tab under the Domain page.

Also, Nathan has his own installation folder, c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-20.

Notice how both Nathan and Adam have their own Ventrilo servers. They are both running out of different directories because they are in different subdomains.

If nathan and adam shared the same domain, they would both be running out of the same directory.

Therefore, if you apply the idea that each rental customer (not server, but each rental customer) receives their own subdomain:
* Each customer has their own set of installation files.

Nathan can completly change his Ventrilo's installation directory, and not effect Adam's Ventrilo directory at all - they are in different folders/directories on the host.

If Nathan attempts to FTP into games01 (the host that is running his Ventrilo and Quake servers), he will be given two directories:

Quote:

nathan-ventrilo/
nathan-quake/

Which are pointing to:
Quote:

c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-20\ventrilo
c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-20\quake

If Andrew (who has Full System Access in the Mammoth Media domain) attempts to FTP into games01, he would see:

Quote:

mammoth-srcds/
adam-ventrilo/
adam-bf2/
nathan-ventrilo/
nathan-quake/

Which are pointing to:
Quote:

c:\gamecreate\srcds
c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-10\ventrilo
c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-10\bf2
c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-20\ventrilo
c:\gamecreate\GameCreate-20\quake

----

So, as you can see; each subdomain has its own copy of software installations. This means FTP access for rental customers are given access to their own specific directory, without messing around with other subdomain's installed software.
USHDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're basically repeating what you said before. I know the structure. I just don't know what you do after creating a subdomain. How do you install games into each subdomain? Do you login to the subdomain account and install games/servers? How do you give access/permission to a subdomain?
USHDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what you're saying. Do I login to the subdomain with the primary login info and install games/servers through there and create a seperate user account to access these servers? What's the point of entering a subdomain login/pw when you don't even need it?
USHDan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the gamecreate client auto start if say the host (machine) was rebooted?
Nathan
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subdomains tab, you'll see the "Domain URL" for each subdomain. Click on the domain url and you will end up at the login screen for that subdomain. Login with your normal USER account. You can then install games/servers, assign permissions etc.

The subdomain login/pw can be used to control the subdomain via web service. This is something most people won't do, so I will look into changing that data to be optional.

The client won't restart itself if the machine is rebooted - you need to make this happen yourself (eg, by putting it in the StartUp folder on a Windows computer).
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: