RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas233

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Running Gamecreate CSS server under high priority? Reply with quote

Hi,

i run a CSS Dedicated Server using the Gamecreate panel on a rented Linux root server. A TS2-Server is also running on this host.

Its running fine, but sometimes a lot of players do have short lags when playing on this server. I guess it may be a problem with the priority of the CSS dedicated process running on this system. It`s a middle performance server therefore the CSS dedicated process should get as much resources from the system as possible i think.

My question therefore is:
When i set up a gameserver manually under Linux, i everytime gave the process high priority. Gamecreate itself doesn`t start the process with high priority. Is it useful to give the server process started by Gamecreate high priority to avoid those sort of lags ?

BTW it`s not a problem with the netsettings/rates. I tried different ones, but the lags always came up.
The system itself also should have enough resources to run those server and the network connection also has about 4Mbit/s and more.

Thanks !

Greetings,
Thomas
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Drussaxe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your up and down total is 4mb
and if your server is on a residential line that means you do not have enough up.

if your up is 4mb that's still cutting it close if your using high fps like 500 or 1000 same with tickrates above default.

If your cpu is running above 90% when both servers are full, that means system resource spikes get queued, and results in lag.Same with memory if the os has to swap file any memory = lag.

I don't know much about linux but i don't think fiddling with process priority would help, on windows this could give a higher priority to a game server than system resources, but the game server is dependant on system operation so if the game server jumps the line in front of an OS process that it needs to complete its own operation, it just messes things up even more.

I would say try to find the bottleneck as i said above check your bandwidth to make sure its adequate, then your cpu, then your ram. if you do have a bottleneck somewhere try reducing the resources that game server takes by lowering tickrate and fps. Running a tf2 server at a tickrate of 33 has very little difference with the default 66 but cuts resource consumption dramatically, as for fps your eye doesn't really notice a frame difference over a 100 so why burn resources on the extra frames?

if you buy into the hype for fps and tickrate and have these maxed out eg. fps 1000 and tickrate 100, and if you have enough bandwidth just adjusting those values to default or lower might allow you to run a 3rd server. that's how much those values gobble up resources. that's why gsp's don't usually offer 100 tickrate 1000fps servers unless they charge a premium to off set the lost resources.

maybe up the settings during matches if you feel it gives you an edge and shut the other server off.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: