RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

Goto page 1, 2  Next 
View previous topic :: View next topic  
death_hawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: How often are updates checked? Reply with quote

I uploaded some changes last night to my server and they still haven't reflected. I don't really want to log into each of my subdomains to update each client.

How often are updates checked for if the auto update option is checked?

Also (extension to my other post about subdomains) is there a way to push updates to subdomains from the parent manually?
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games are not "checked" for updates, rather they are told to update by the content master.

If you have downloaded the content master (click Download on the left) and are maintaining your own packages, as soon as you "Approve" the package - the update is pushed to all game installs (including those in subdomains).
death_hawk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a content server which I put an "update" on and it didn't push it to the clients.

However, if I do an update manually it picks one up fine.

EDIT: Just to confirm, I did run build-update.php on it. Twice actually to make sure it took.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you then "Approve" the revision, either via the /approve command line switch, or via the Domain Packages tab?

You either didn't do this, or you unticked 'Keep this game up to date' when you initially installed it on a host.
death_hawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I /approve via command line?

Actually, I don't see anything in the Domain packages tab regarding approve either.

The only things I see are:

Enable Content Server (check)
Content Server Address (check)

Package Name - Game
Unique Name - Game
Custom Content - Chekc
Auto Update - Blank

And I reinstalled the game server twice to make sure I have auto updates on.

EDIT: Oh and this happens across all my subdomains which I've also reinstalled a few times.
Steve
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the domain packages tab if an approve hasn't been done when the build_update was used, then you should see in the auto update column the option to approve with another tickbox asking if you want to restart the servers or not.

With the build update, you can use the following switches

/a - this will approve the package automatically so you don't have to do it via the domain-packages page.

/r - this will restart the servers after the build update is completed and the new content has been pushed out to the servers.

/c - this will automatically confirm the build instead of prompting you to go ahead with the changes after the build script has run.

You can use all or some of these switches together in any order. e.g.

build-update.bat tf2 /c /a /r

When you say you reinstalled it twice, are you reinstalling it from your up to date copy of the game, where there will be no updates to push out?
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what Steve said, remember you need to actually "build" the update after updating the files - otherwise GameCreate won't know you actually did anything.

Click on "Download" to the left, and download the Custom Content Server kit, and be sure to read the instructions (in full) inside.

Here's a link to the documentation, http://doc.gamecreate.com/AdminDomainPackagesPage
death_hawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve wrote:
Under the domain packages tab if an approve hasn't been done when the build_update was used, then you should see in the auto update column the option to approve with another tickbox asking if you want to restart the servers or not.

I didn't have this option, but I also didn't know about the switches. I read the documentation that Andrew linked and it made no mention of it.

Quote:

When you say you reinstalled it twice, are you reinstalling it from your up to date copy of the game, where there will be no updates to push out?

I removed the game and reinstalled it. I then pushed an "update" (by changing a few files and rebuild-updating) and see if the changes went through. They didn't.

I'll try again with the approve and auto restart.

Thanks guys
death_hawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long after approving an update does it take to filter down to the actual servers themselves?

I just pushed another "update" onto my content server (which I did build and approve) and it hasn't shown up yet after about 15 minutes.

Just to confirm, under subdomains I'm supposed to leave the Enable Content Server unchecked so it can inherit the parent's permissions right? If I check it in the subdomain it wants an address.
Steve
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using the /a switch, the server update should take place immediately after the build update process has finished.

Depending on the size of the package you are updating and your http server speed this may vary.

Subdomains inherit the parent's packages unless the content server is specifically set to something else in the subdomains package options.
death_hawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so instead of screwing with a ton of Subdomains in testing, I decided to just install a Content Server and the base domain.

Starting fresh, I installed Left4dead off my content server.
I then did an "update" to the content server using build-update.php /c /a /r

Nothing shows beside the package under domains and auto updates is on.

My HTTP server is a local one relative to the game server.

It's been 10 minutes and the "update" still hasn't been pulled from the content server.

EDIT: Oh and new installs don't have the actual executable chmodded correctly. I had to go in by hand and chmod it to execute.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you link me to your domain? I'll quickly see if its even setup right.

Also, please show me the contents of the build-update script after you think you've deployed an update.
death_hawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domain is ncixgaming.

When you say build update script you mean left4dead.txt that's generated by build-update.php?
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run the build-update script, it prints a lot of stuff to your console window.

Send me a copy of its output towards towards the end (say the last 100 lines) right here and I can see whats going on.
death_hawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pastebin.com/m67deed2

EDIT: I might as well confirm that I did use the switches /c /a /r
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: