RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freaky123

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Install games on subdomain Reply with quote

I have a question..
When i need to install a game on a subdomain and game does not support automatic installation..
How can I do that with my rental servers? Do I need to install that server for every customer apart myself? Or can I install the game on the main host and it will automaticly be taken from there?

And my second question, when I install a game on a subdomain. Does the server download the game again if its installed in the main host? And is there a option to copy the game from the main host to the subdomain? Because this wil be much much faster!
I can write this self with ssh connection, but it would be easier if gamecreate will support this.

Greetz,
Freek
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Quote:
When i need to install a game on a subdomain and game does not support automatic installation..

All GameCreate games support automatic installation; some of them we just cant distribute to you for free because they are not freely available - so you need to setup the installation yourself (just once though, then you can use GameCreate to install it for you!).

This warning message is just to let you know you need to set this up yourself for that particular game.

What you want to do is create your own content server (see the Content Master information on the Download link to the left), and manage your game installs that way. This gives you total control over which files are installed to your hosts.

Quote:
How can I do that with my rental servers? Do I need to install that server for every customer apart myself? Or can I install the game on the main host and it will automaticly be taken from there?

Game installs are needed for each Host/Domain combination.

This means if I have SubDomain A and SubDomain B, and I have Server A in SubDomain A, and Server B in SubDomain B, and both servers are on Host A, then Host A needs two copies of the game (one for each SubDomain).

This allows customer installations to be isolated, which is desirable.

Quote:
And my second question, when I install a game on a subdomain. Does the server download the game again if its installed in the main host? And is there a option to copy the game from the main host to the subdomain? Because this wil be much much faster!
I can write this self with ssh connection, but it would be easier if gamecreate will support this.

Each time you install a game on GameCreate, it is downloaded via the content server, it is never copied locally.

But wait, this is not bad. What you can do is setup a local content master (again, see the Download page).

When you have a local master, you can manage your game installs from a single location - and deploy them to all of your hosts and subdomains with one click.

And if you have the game installs on a local host to your game server hosts (eg, the same network, or even the same machine!) then the content will be downloaded at the maximum transfer speed (eg, several megabytes per second - equivalent to a normal file copy) instead of over the (possibly slow) internet link you're using at the moment to download from our content server.

Finally, you may want to use this specific webservice call to install a new rental server, it takes care of a few housekeeping things for you:

Quote:

CreateServerOnBestHost(string actorUsername, string actorPassword, int domainId, int gameId, string hostIds, string name, int players, int startPort)

This service call will create a new server for you on the specified domain (eg a customer's subdomain), for the specified game id.

You pass in a comma-delimited ("1,2,3") list of Host IDs that GameCreate should consider for suitable hosts.

If you only have one host you want GameCreate to install the game on, simply pass one host id. Passing multiple IDs allows GameCreate to check which host has the least amount of servers, and picks the one with the least amount to allocate the server to.

startPort is the starting port number at which port allocations occur, for example you can choose 20000 to choose this port is available, or the next one higher up if available.

Alternatively you can continue to use the individual 'IsGameInstalled' / CreateServer methods manually to have more control, but the above may be more desirable to you.

Cheers
Freaky123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for you're help!
But now I have only one question left. When using the packages, I choose for srcds. But then I choose cssource but it does nothing?
How does it work with tougether?

Quote:
Because I see the ignore things at the beginning, but that doesn't work, because the /cssource directory is addes to srcds. And the cssource command doesn't work?

Sorry it was my faulth, the folders weren't right:)

But now I found another thing I can't found anywhere... Is it possible to make different packages for the same game? For example one is a ranked server and the other not.
Because with the ftp of the server you can't change the files of the package. You also can't delete them.
Or is it possible to change the ftp rights and let them own the server?

Greetz,
Freek
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some packages (such as cssource) inherit from a base package (such as srcds).

This means for CS: S to be installed, it needs the CSS content (/cstrike) but also the base package (source DS).
Freaky123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey tnx:)

But the other problem with the different versions of one game? and the ftp?

thanx in advance,
Freek
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to need to be more specific.
Freaky123

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i want two sort of installs for the same game. How can I add this to the packages? Or is this not possible?
Because now when I go to the ftp I can't edit or delete the file's I didn't uploaded trought ftp. For example "srcds_x86", so the files that are installed.

So if a customer wants for example a cracked server... He can't do it himself? But is it possible to do this with packages? Or do I need to change the ftp rights so they can do it themself?
Steve
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could either change the FTP permissions so they could do it themselves, or create another package in a separate repository, and change the content server you want to use to whichever version you want in that subdomain.
Freaky123

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean to make another folder like /content-server/linux/callofduty-mod1/
But how does it work with the content packages at Gamecreate? And don't I need to edit packages.txt?

Thanx,
Freek
Steve
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have an entirely separate content server, not just another folder in the same one.
It will have it's own packages.txt and basically be identical to the other one, but contain the other version/install.

You'll build the package for the other content server, then change the repository used in the subdomains package settings to whichever version you want to use.

We currently use 4 repositories internally for various things using this method.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: