RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djjerdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Multiple IP's Reply with quote

It appears that GameCreate uses different ports to run multiple game servers, but what if I have multiple IP's on the same server and I want to use a different IP for each game server and keep the ports there defaults?

Do I have to add each IP as a host, or is there a way to specify a range of IPs?
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

At this time there is no real easy way to have GameCreate run a server on different IP addresses from the GUI.

You could modify the config files/command line etc to bind to a specific IP though.

I'm curious as to why there is such as desire to run servers on multiple IP Addresses?

Is this just becuase this is what you are use to, or is there some advantage?
djjerdog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is mainly that running servers on different ports then the default creates more of a hassle.
When you use the default ports you dont have to know them or enter them on the client side since the server already checks to see if it is using the default port.

Other then that I think ports are just as good
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run a few large GSP's (hundreds of gameservers), and generally find the port number does not matter - The servers still show up in the masterlist etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the servers still show up fine in a master server list, but when a client wants to direct connect to a server, for example Counter-Strike uses port 27015 a client doesnt need to know this all they need is a IP or even easier a DNS name like cs.christiancs.com No port or any info would be needed.

All of our game servers run as DNS names which makes it easy if I need to change IP address or relocate a game server to a new machine all I have to do is upate the DNS info. To the client they dont have to update there favorites or anything it is done on the server side. Changing the port just throughs in that extra variable for something to go wrong. I know it sounds silly but the few variables the better.
Dias

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I whuld like if we chuld put in driffent IP's, the reason is, Americas Army Honnor needs to be driffent IP when you host them, if i host 2 AA server a 20 slots with the same IP one of the server will be BAN by AA provider.. ( If you have AASA one it)

And a other reason is, it whuld just be nice if you chuld give out a costumers a driffent ip, like if you have a cotumers hu buy 5 CS servers i whuld give him 1IP with 5 drifent ports, and then i have another costumers that by 3 CS servers i will give him 1 IP and 3 drifent ports, its more easy to support cosutermes with there ip in the system...

Yea and then i have alot of other reason Smile

But i hope GameCreate whul make this posibel soon Smile

Thanks.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: