RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LukLuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: CSS needs adjustment! Reply with quote

Hey guys. Ive recently deleted my whole CSS folder and reinstalled it manually.

With the new Source-Engine 3 CSS, the srcds_run is NO LONGER in /srcds !

It is now in /orangebox/srcds_run !

Linking it does not work......GameCreate says the process crashes, although my script works manually.

Content of my custom srcds_run:

Code:
cd ./orangebox
./srcds_run -yourcommandline

EDIT: Okay, i guess it is [obsolete] -.- I'll try the "non obsolete" version which obviously works with the orangebox thing.
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

LukLuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not work at all.

1. Symbol is missing

2. Creating a server stops at "Updating" in the Start/Stop area

3. No possibility to reinstall the game (unknown error) (Sent an e-mail with details)

4. Lack of Support Sad
ryguy222

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^You know this is a free panel right?
Yes the srcds.exe file is supposed to be somewhere else. Heard of copy/paste, or you can run the updater.

I'm a game server provider, and when I install stuff I never use game creates content network, nor my own content network. It's so much faster to use the HLDS tool. And they include update_css.bat files. All ya gotta do is run that and it'll look at what you got and download the files that you need.

I have a master copy of the game server software in one location, and I copy and paste it, and tell gamecreate to not download, or update.

I once ran HLDS timed it, than ran the gamecreate content installer. It took HLDS about 15 minutes to download a full TF2 install. Took gamecreate about an hour and thirty minutes. Valve has a GIANT content delivery system, that can transfer files quickly.

The icon being broken is a bit annoying, but at least they added CSS, and the game panel supports it.

Apologies if I came off as rude, I just get a bit annoyed when people expect something for nothing, and then expect customer service.
Kybber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryguy222: It may be a good idea to create your own content master and let GC take care of distributing the files to your hosts. It's the best of both worlds:
1. You use hldsupdatetool to update your content master like you currently do
2. You let GC take care of distributing your local content to your hosts via GC's build-in versioning system.

This is a blazingly fast way of updating a bunch of hosts, and it is very reliable since GC makes sure to stop servers before update and start them after, and makes sure that the files are correctly transferred. Not to mention that GC will only transfer modified and new files, so you don't have to copy entire installs between your hosts if only a few files have changed (though you may be using rsync or something similar already)
ryguy222

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked into making my own content server, but just haven't had the time.

How do these updates work though? Does it update when I create a new version? Or does it update when GC puts up an update?
LukLuk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for responsing.

Iam using a Linux dedicated Server and I think i just forgot to uncheck, that GameCreate should download the files.....

Sorry for that stupid behaviour Sad
Kybber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you use your own content-server for a game (the GC content server is default for all games, but you can check off the games you want to provide yourself), the upgrade is triggered by running a script called build-update.php.

For instance, to upgrade your css installation (which is called cssob in GC), you'd first update your master installation via hldsupdatetool, followed by running 'build-update.php /a /r cssob'. This script will scan the installation, detect any changes, and notify your GC domain that there's a new version available. The /a switch will ensure that the installation is immediately downloaded by all hosts that have css installed, and the /r switch will make the servers stop before downloading and start when it's done. Couldn't be simpler Smile
ryguy222

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that's how it worked, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the content server to work.

I opened another thread about it, if you could have a look at it Kybber, you seem very knowledgeable about all this.

Also is there a better manual about the content system? That includes those switches? As the manual here doesn't talk about that.
http://doc.gamecreate.com/AdminDomainPackagesPage

Thanks
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: