RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmc127

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: User to run under -- linux Reply with quote

I had a question that might be in another area, but I have not found it =)

I was wondering what user the client needs to be run under, ie, does this user need full access (I am guessing) to all of the different steam installs? I have different users people use under /home/[username], I could add a user that can have access to all of these, or (eek) run as root. Is there a howto for this?

Thanks
Kyle
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

kmc127

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, after more clicking around and installing just under root i found that it actually installs the game servers into the folder that you have the client running on. Pretty cool.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

You do not need to run the client as root (and shouldnt!).

By default the game installs are placed in your GameCreate Client folder.

If you visit your domain and click on a host and then its Configuration tab, you can change this directory Smile
kmc127

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I just found this out, didnt look that hard at the docs or anything before I started testing, but I actually really like that... for those of you who see this or have this question in a search of the forums:

I thought:
I install game servers, gamecreate takes care of the configs from a web front end. I thought I would have to install a client that could see the servers.

What really happens:
Gamecreate is awesome and takes care of EVERYTHING. When i say everything I mean EVERYTHING. Installing even. Everything is installed (and run from what I can tell) from the user account you run the host client from.

Pretty cool, a lot better than the php scripts I was planning to write when I got home lol. Thanks for a great product!
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

Be sure to check out the bookings feature of GameCreate too (http://fire-fight.us.gamecreate.com/bookings) for a pretty neat feature Smile
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: