RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
samson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Another question about ports Reply with quote

As I went to add my second host I realised there might be a problem having 2 dods servers on port 27015 the default port on two different hosts is this the case?or am I reading it wrong.
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different hosts (or network interfaces) may use the same port.

Port numbers are "channels" at which communication operates over a given host.

Port numbers allow computers to separate different conversations/streams of information.

So you can use the same port numbers on different machines.
samson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I understand that it may run on different ports but I did not understand how it would keep the .cfg's different

%mod%/cfg/port%server:port%.cfg

Are the game files different for the second host it did not look like it to me. I will take a closer look when I get it reinstalled

after I added the second host my 2 servers on the first host started crashing and not starting so I figured I would uninstall start from scratch. To see where I made a mistake.
samson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Nm I must stop looking when I am tierd

There is no reason to have different game settings on different hosts. The server settings will be different because it will be port27015.cfg on host "a"
and port27015.cfg on host "b" correct?

I guess I just got confused when I added a server on the new host and it did not start at the default port
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated earlier, read up on ports - they are a generic networking thing not specific to game servers or GameCreate.

The reason you see files named port%server:port%.cfg etc (or port-specific filenames) is because:

* This creates a unique copy of that file for that server instance on that host. No other game or server instance is going to be using that file, it will make its own copy

* The game server is told to read that copy of the file. This means you can have separate server configs running on each server.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: