RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gh0std0g

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Server Permissions Override eachother Reply with quote

I was setting up a server for some friends of mine on my host machine and i realised that the permissions options override each other when you give configuration write permissions and disallow the write players permissions.

Let me be more specific. If i disallow a certain user within a subdomain, to write the max. number of players on his server, and give write permissions on the server configuration, he can still change the max. number of players (slots on the server) by simply changing the server command line, thus overriding the write players permissions.

ie:

The normal command line for a condition zero server. The maxplayers option that defines how many players the server will... serve is highlighted in bold.

Quote:
-game %game% -norestart -console +ip %server:ip% +port %server:port% +maxplayers %server:players% +servercfgfile port%server:port%.cfg +exec port%server:port%.cfg +map %startmap% +logsdir gclogs/%server:id% -sport <gc:eval>%server:port%+1</gc:eval>

if the user has configuration write permissions he/she can simply make this little change:

Quote:
-game %game% -norestart -console +ip %server:ip% +port %server:port% +maxplayers 32 +servercfgfile port%server:port%.cfg +exec port%server:port%.cfg +map %startmap% +logsdir gclogs/%server:id% -sport <gc:eval>%server:port%+1</gc:eval>

and this will override the disallow write players permissions setting.

Not sure if it was simply a matter of oversight or if this happens by design, but i tought i'd point it out anyway.

Cheers,
gD
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really an oversight.

You control being able to prevent people from adjusting maximum players (enforcement of the player count) by visiting the Domain Configuration tab and clicking the box which specifies the enforcement of player numbers.

What this will do is that if GameCreate finds a server running with more players actually in-game than specified in GameCreate via the Players option, the server is restarted.
gh0std0g

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i see. Will it simply restart the server or will it restart the server and enforce the defined max players ie, set the command line to its default setting where it loads the max player from the %server:players% variable?

Anyway thnx for clearing that up m8, i only thought it might be interesting to know, since most control panels i've seen block users from messing with the startup command line.

Cheers,
gD

Last edited by gh0std0g on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just restarts the server.

GameCreate has no idea where to define the maxplayers value, thats why you use the %server:players%.

Its not relevant anyway, it simply restarts the server when it finds more than the permitted amount of players playing in the server - Anyone trying to get around it wont have much success with the server restarting all the time.
gh0std0g

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...Anyone trying to get around it wont have much success with the server restarting all the time."

Now thats what i wanted to know Very Happy

Cheers Andrew,
gD
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: