RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hecktic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: new feature compare ? Reply with quote

Whats this?
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

Kybber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shows the difference between a modified server
file and the game file on which it is based or a
modified game file and the original untouched file.

Ever wondered why one of your ten CSS-servers
has a modified server.cfg? Just click on 'compare'
to get a quick overview of the changes that were
made to the file.
hecktic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds awsome

they should add md5 security hash code compares also to show if the config is a fake or a real one an admin put in...
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep its new.

There's a new feature just added as well which will provide a list of servers which are overriding a specific game file.

If you are editing the Game File named 'Server Config', the page will show a list of servers which have custom files overriding that server file when appropriate.
hecktic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Andrew. Great features.

I still would like to see something done about the use of multiple IP addresses on a machine to host multiple games on different IP addy.

I know there is a fix for this for users who want to use multiple IP addresses but Id still like to see something done to the panel software to accommodate this request if possible.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We support multiple IP addresses per host - click the Host Configuration tab to add additional IPs.
hecktic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
We support multiple IP addresses per host - click the Host Configuration tab to add additional IPs.

Oops I was referring to the idea of multiple ports per game. IE:

Call of duty server 1 @ 123.23.22.210:28960
Call of duty server 2 @ 123.23.22.210:28961
Call of duty server 3 @ 123.23.22.211:28960

Now at the current momment this is possible but the FTP paths are all going to the same directory.... this should not be setup this way and rather it should seperate the servers ftp paths and isolate each server install from the other.

Currently gamecreate does not do this.
See this thread for further explanation please:
http://www.gamecreate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4569&highlight=#4569
(I think you already made the fix, you just need to update the installer package?)
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would the separate FTP paths go? They all run out of the same game install.

If you want to limit the files people can download, play with the FTP ACL rules (FTP Admin under Domain tab).

You can also create sub-domains (if you are in a rental environment) to physically separate installs from one another.
hecktic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ftp paths would go as follows:

in the case of call of duty:

Server A - 123.223.22.1:28960

/callofduty/serverA/

Server B - 123.223.22.1:28961

/callofduty/serverB/

Server C - 123.223.22.2:28960

/callofduty/serverC/

So essentially instead of assigning the ftp path directory as the port number which would offset the purpose here, just assign it by userID or serverIP or something else allowing as result the use of multiple call of duty servers on a single IP address NOT sharing the same FTP paths to where the game server config files would be located along with log files, server mods and maps, etc.

In another way what Im saying is to abolish the concept of using the same core server files shared among servers because when you duplicate an entire call of duty game server install for example, then your basically assigning a dedicated game server path to the FTP.

Plus side to this change is that in a rental envoirnment it seperates customers from accessing each others log files or configs AND it allows each customer to modify their own core server files instead of sharing them and risking breaking the core server files by the idea of sharing them to begin with.

The Downside is that for every call of duty game server install for example in a rental envoirnment at least, it would be basically the entire call of duty setup as a server with all the files; 1.8gb i think in windows and maybe 1.2gb in linux i think
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hecktic wrote:
The ftp paths would go as follows:

in the case of call of duty:

Server A - 123.223.22.1:28960

/callofduty/serverA/

Server B - 123.223.22.1:28961

/callofduty/serverB/

Server C - 123.223.22.2:28960

/callofduty/serverC/

What about games that don't place their server files in separate directories? What about map packs for example?

When installing map packs for Server A - they would go in cod/maps (for eg) - Both where Server B/C also look for maps.

You need to consider the bigger picture - there are other games that have arbitrary installations where multiple servers on the same game installation share common game files.

Quote:

Plus side to this change is that in a rental envoirnment it seperates customers from accessing each others log files or configs AND it allows each customer to modify their own core server files instead of sharing them and risking breaking the core server files by the idea of sharing them to begin with.

This is what subdomains are for. If you create a subdomain per customer in a rental environment, and you install Call of Duty for them, their game is installed to c:\games\GameCreate-XXX\callofduty for example. They have their own isolated install from other subdomains (and the provider domain).[/quote]
hecktic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:

What about games that don't place their server files in separate directories? What about map packs for example?

When installing map packs for Server A - they would go in cod/maps (for eg) - Both where Server B/C also look for maps.

You need to consider the bigger picture - there are other games that have arbitrary installations where multiple servers on the same game installation share common game files.

Then I would say to simply seperate the installs.

For example when installing ServerA the gamecreate system will copy all master callofduty files from a specific directory containing the master files.

Same would happen for ServerB and ServerC thus eliminating any and all problems with maps/configs/logs/etc.

See what I mean?

In other words each Server; A,B, and C will be about 1.2gb in size on the server hard drive. The 1.2gb reflects the entire master core files needed to run call of duty + the custom dedicated.cfg file and then whatever maps and mods installed by the owner of the said ServerA, B, or C.

Does this make sense?

Quote:

This is what subdomains are for. If you create a subdomain per customer in a rental environment, and you install Call of Duty for them, their game is installed to c:\games\GameCreate-XXX\callofduty for example. They have their own isolated install from other subdomains (and the provider domain).

Ill have to look into that but it seems more complicated than my idea Confused
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hecktic wrote:
Then I would say to simply seperate the installs.

For example when installing ServerA the gamecreate system will copy all master callofduty files from a specific directory containing the master files.

Same would happen for ServerB and ServerC thus eliminating any and all problems with maps/configs/logs/etc.

See what I mean?

I see what you mean - but making a separate install for each server is slow and usually unnecessary - making this an option I see being a benefit, however its a bit tricky to implement visually at the moment I think.

For now, use subdomains.
hecktic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:

I see what you mean - but making a separate install for each server is slow and usually unnecessary - making this an option I see being a benefit, however its a bit tricky to implement visually at the moment I think.

For now, use subdomains.

Well slow yes, however most "true" game servers are running high end SCSI and/or RAID configurations anyways so how much slow can it get at that point... access time on the disk could be slowed down but who, well which game server provider installs new game servers at "non" peak hours of heavy game server traffic?

I have not looked into sub domains yet but I guess if the sub domains do actually isolate the customers game servers; and by that I mean isolate per IP:PORT, ftp path, log files, base config files, etc. then problem solved Smile
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subdomains dont isolate on a per server basis - they isolate individual subdomains installs on the host, so each subdomain has its own install of the game.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: