RegisterRegister    Log inLog in    SearchSearch   

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScoffeR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Where are all the files and games? Reply with quote

Sorry for being a noob but I'm pretty confused here.

I've always ran the games manually, now been using another panel for bout a week and I'm interested on GameCreate.

The problem is, I have Four servers, one is a Windows 2008 server witch is my testserver in this case. I installed GameCreate client there and the server itself seems to be ok.

But where are all the files? All I can find is c:\gamecreate directory with files:
gamecreate.exe
gamecreate.ini
mfc71.dll
mfc71u.dll
msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll

Nothing else.
If I create a new game server, for example Unreal Tournament 3 (witch I already have installed into c:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\ directory) where should I copy/install or anything with it?
gamecreate doesn't create any directory where the copy of UT3 should be set nor it has any packages.txt what's discussed on another topics.

I can set up the server and game but it can't start since it has no clue where the game really is.

Has something gone wrong or doesn't GC work on win 2008 server or what's the problem Shocked

UPDATE:
Americas Army is now installing, feels like downloadable games will probably work but where do I know what directorynames I use for custom games (like UT3) and do they go into c:\gamecreate\ directory as I suspect?
adbot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:57 am 

ScoffeR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhh...ok, here's a tiny tiny info for next one who's fighting over same problem.
After I installed one game GC downloads itself, it started to make other directories into c:\gamecreate\ dir too!!
But not before I frustrated hours with it and almost gave up and tried AA for next.
Andrew
Mammoth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Of course the initial GC download wont have any games with it (all up, the amount of games and their content GC supports is nearly half a terabyte).

GameCreates content servers are currently located in Australia, and so installations may not be optimal overseas - to avoid the long download time, you can install the game manually (in to the c:\gamereate\<game name> directory).

When you click 'Install a game on this host' in the UI, click 'Advanced Options' on the final screen and tick 'Do not automatically keep this game up to date' and 'Do not download this game, it is already installed'.

This will then allow you to use your existing copy.

You can find out where GameCreate expects the game to be installed by trying to start a server and watching the GameCreate Client console (it will say its trying to start for example c:\gamecreate\quake3\quake3.exe - so you need to make sure Q3 is installed there).

If you manage many server hosts, you can maintain your own game server content and let GameCreate distribute it for you (see the Download link on the left).
ScoffeR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is obvious all the games cannot come with gamecreate automatically, but the point is that gamecreate didn't even create the config files before I installed one game from the automatic download.

I tried to install UT3 about six times, none of the times it didn't even create c:\gamecreate\ut3 directory nor the config files so I didn't know into what dir should I install the UT3 (in this case the directory name was ut3).

Then by pure luck, I installed Americas Army with automatic downloading and after that, GC started to create other directories too.

Now it works like it should, when I choose from the panel install new game, it creates a directory where I should put the game itself.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: